b-hebrew - Re[2]: I AM THAT I AM and John 8:58 - Rolf, Ron

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter_Kirk AT sil.org
  • To: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re[2]: I AM THAT I AM and John 8:58 - Rolf, Ron
  • Date: Wed, 30 Dec 1998 18:19 -0500 (EST)

As we are looking for examples of how New Testament writers identified
Jesus with YHWH, surely this is clear in Romans 9:9 "That if you
confess with your mouth, 'Jesus is Lord,'... you will be saved", in
the context of the quotation in verse 13 from Joel 3:5 (Eng. 2:32)
"Everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved". In the
Joel passage the Lord is clearly YHWH. So this comes as close as you
could get to saying "Jesus is YHWH", and that it is central to the
Christian proclamation. Philippians 2:9-11 must also identify Jesus
with YHWH - what else is "the name that is above every name" than
YHWH? But in both passages Jesus is also distinguished from God. Does
this mean that Paul did not identify YHWH with God? I wonder. Did
anyone else have such thoughts at that, or any other period?

Suppose someone in one of Paul's churches had confessed with his mouth
"Jesus is Lord" and later turned round and said "All I meant was,
Jesus is the agent of the Lord". What do you think would have been the
reaction to this of Paul who wrote Galatians 1:8-9?

Peter Kirk