b-hebrew - Re: (Solomon or David?) L-rd/king I Chronicles 29:20

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter_Kirk AT sil.org
  • To: a.c.smith AT juno.com, b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: (Solomon or David?) L-rd/king I Chronicles 29:20
  • Date: Wed, 30 Dec 1998 17:35 -0500 (EST)

Surely here the king is still David, as in verse 1. Solomon has not
yet been called "king", and up to this point he is being given more
the role of David's agent for the temple building works. He has not
yet been anointed or acknowledged as king - this comes in verse 22 -
and he has not yet sat on the throne in place of David - see verse 23.
The assembly would be expected to bow down before the king who has
just spoken to them.

Then there is the problem of how to reconcile this with the very
different account in 1 Kings 1. Perhaps one way to understand this
passage and do some reconciliation is to recognise a break, possibly
even of many years, in the middle of verse 22. After all, the first
part of the verse looks like a closing summary of the proceedings,
compare 12:39-40, 2 Ch. 7:8-10. See also 23:1 (which I would take more
as David naming Solomon as his successor) and the mysterious $"NIYT in
verse 22.

Peter Kirk