b-hebrew - Re: Ruth 1.17 oath

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: ben.crick AT argonet.co.uk (Ben Crick)
  • To: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Ruth 1.17 oath
  • Date: Sun, 27 Dec 98 22:47:03

On Sun 27 Dec 98 (07:49:39), buthfam AT compuserve.com wrote:
> here is a possibly ambiguous oath, with a footnote that is given to
> students:
>
> ko ya`ase Y"H li vexo yosif
> ki ha-mavet yafrid beni uvenex

This appears to be a standard "covenant invoking" oath based on the
"cutting" of the Covenant, where a sacrificial animal is solemnly bisected
with the words "The LORD do so to me, and more also, if I break the terms
of this covenant...". That is, "the LORD cut me off...". The standard form
is in Genesis 15:9-17. In a mutual covenant, both parties would pass between
the severed pieces; but in a unilateral Covenant such as that made by YHWH
with Abraham, YHWH in the guise of a "smoking lamp" (reminiscent of the
pillar of cloud and fire of the Exodus) passed between the pieces, whilst
Abraham watched as a man in a trance.

The practice of "covenant cutting" (KaRaT B:RiT) seems to go back to Hittite
times. All nations did it; so Ruth the Moabitess would know and use the
formula "The LORD do so to me and more also..." even if she were not yet
fully instructed in her mother-in-law's religion.

Happy New Year
Ben
--
Revd Ben Crick, BA CF