b-hebrew - Re: workmen I Chronicles 22:2

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter_Kirk AT sil.org
  • To: a.c.smith AT juno.com, b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: workmen I Chronicles 22:2
  • Date: Thu, 24 Dec 1998 00:15 -0500 (EST)

He didn't "hire" them, surely, he imposed this forced labour on them -
something which was traditional for non-Israelites living within the
borders of Israel (compare Joshua 9:27, 1 Kings 9:20-22) but not for
free-born Israelites. Later Solomon broke this tradition, though only
for one month periods of service (1 Kings 5:13-14), and started to
stoke up the resentment which led to the assassination of the forced
labour supervisor (1 Kings 12:18) and the rebellion of the northern
tribes.

Peter Kirk