b-hebrew - "Jacob I loved, but Esau I hated" (Malachi 1:3)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Paul Villano" <lionofgod AT axs2k.net>
  • To: "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: "Jacob I loved, but Esau I hated" (Malachi 1:3)
  • Date: Wed, 23 Dec 1998 19:01:25 -0500

I'm usually simply a lurker because I'm not an expert in Hebrew as most of
you folks are. In fact, most of your conversations about tenses of verbs
and pronunciations are over my head! I keep hoping you'll say something
that is down near where I can understand it. Grin. But this question has
really been bothering me so I thought I'd risk asking it, even if it means
you ask me to leave the list because I'm not up to its standards.

My question is on Malachi 1:3: "Jacob I loved, but Esau I hated." I've
heard (as a Christian) a lot of discussion about the love of G-D for
everyone. But I've never heard any discussion of His "hating" anyone. Can
someone please explain the use of the word "hate" in this verse and the
reasoning behind its use? Does G-D really "hate" anyone? How do we know if
He hates US, if WE are "Esau"?

Thanks for your help! Again, if you are kind enough to answer me privately
or on the list (if that's okay) please try to explain it in a way that a
layman can understand. :)

Paul aka Ariel, Lion of G-D

  • "Jacob I loved, but Esau I hated" (Malachi 1:3), Paul Villano, 12/23/1998