b-hebrew - Weqatal in Is 1.19

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Paul Zellmer <zellmer AT cag.pworld.net.ph>
  • To: list b-hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Weqatal in Is 1.19
  • Date: Wed, 16 Dec 1998 07:31:04 +0800

Isaiah 1:19 reads:

'iM-To'BuW uW$Ma`TeM +uWB Hf'fReC To'K"LuW

Using the summary "profiles" of the discourse types in Bryan
Rocine's grammar, and recognizing this passage as predictive
narrative, I see To'BuW as yiqtol in a dependent clause, giving it
the function of relative non-past background information. To'K"LuW
is "X-yiqtol," which Bryan calls "topicalization," or highlighting.
In this case, +uWB Hf'fReC is "topicalized." What I'm not quite
sure how to handle is the weqatal, uW$Ma`TeM.

Translations treat this the same way as the yiqtol in the dependent
clause, and that is how I've always treated it before. Yet I could
also see a case for it being a description of how To'BuW would
express itself. I.e., I could see a case for "If you are willing by
obeying..."

A similar construction is found in verse 20, with the same
possibilities.

What think ye?

Paul
Ibanag Translation Project
Cabagan, Philippines

zellmer AT faith.edu.ph

  • Weqatal in Is 1.19, Paul Zellmer, 12/15/1998