b-hebrew - Re[2]: Niphal Josh 8

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter_Kirk AT sil.org
  • To: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re[2]: Niphal Josh 8
  • Date: Sun, 13 Dec 1998 00:13 -0500 (EST)

This reminds me of a Russian peculiarity. The suffix -(e)myy on an
imperfective verb stem is the present passive participle (and indeed
the only true passive part of the imperfective verb); the same suffix
on a perfective verb stem gives an adjective corresponding to English
-ible, -able. E.g. rastvorimyy = soluble, rastvorayemyy = dissolved.

So my question re b-hebrew: Is there any correlation between this
"potential" meaning of the Niphal and aspect i.e. prefix and suffix
conjugations?

Peter Kirk