b-hebrew - tolerative niphals

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: doug.kasten AT juno.com (Doug Kasten)
  • To: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: tolerative niphals
  • Date: Fri, 11 Dec 1998 15:47:33 EST

Dear B-Hebrewers:

Many thanks to Ben Crick and John Ronning for their insightful posts on
tolerative niphals. The whole thing started with Josh 8:15 and moved to
Is 65:1 and beyond. However enlightening the discussion has been, I'm
still not satisfied.

Regarding Ben Crick's comments on the Niphals of Isaiah 65:1 and 55:6 and
the tolerative understanding of the form in these cases: the
'tolerative' understanding is basically an English translation convention
to satisfy the wider context and still translate the verb. This
taxonomic exercise is necessary because English convention has special
needs to translate them--at least in some cases; certainly not all.
Consider the following renderings of Is65:1:

"I was sought by those who did not ask for me; I was found by those who
did not seek me."

NIV is similar:

"I revealed myself to those who did not ask for me; I was found by those
who did not seek me."

These two traditions see no need to translate a 'tolerative' Niphal.
They may need adjusting elsewhere. But my concern is to understand the
nature of the verb's semantic value, and not make an automatic adjustment
to its translation in order to smooth ruffled English-language feathers,
which is what I see the tolerative Niphal doing.

Though I find references to LXX and NT usage stimulating from an
exegetical and even translation perspective, I don't believe that such
considerations get at my concerns for understanding the semantic value of
the given niphal.

Let's just say that the translation that would understand the niphal in
Josh 8:15 as tolerative is a good one. It would be good, I'd argue,
because the whole context makes this implication necessary, and not
because the niphal is in fact 'tolerative'. Again for the sake of
argument, let's say that those who propose a tolerative niphal and I come
up with an identical translation of Josh 8:15. Everyone should be happy!
Yet I wouldn't be because I'd argue that coming up with the 'right'
translation for the wrong reason is, in the long run anyway, a bit dodgy.

I'm going to look more closely at the postings to see if I've missed
something vital, and would happily be 'shown the light' on this subject
in future postings.

Peace,
Doug

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]

  • tolerative niphals, Doug Kasten, 12/11/1998