b-hebrew - Re: Isaiah 9:6 and YKRA

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Lee R. Martin" <lmartin AT vol.com>
  • To: "Reinhard G.Lehmann" <lehmann AT mail.Uni-Mainz.de>, Hebrew List <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Isaiah 9:6 and YKRA
  • Date: Thu, 10 Dec 1998 11:00:26 -0500

Isaiah 9:5 is written in past tense. The interpreters (translators) have
chosen to
use the future tense based on their belief that it is a prophecy of the
future, esp.
regarding the Messiah. Some day I hope to study in more detail the prophetic
view of
time, but it seems to me that the prophets spoke of things in the future as
if they
had alread occurred. IMHO, this figurative use of grammar should be
translated
literally. For what its worth, the LXX translates the vayyiqtol here with
the present
tense. I wonder why.
Lee R. Martin