b-hebrew - Re: RTL update - explanation

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Tomas Frydrych <tomas AT frydrych.freeserve.co.uk>
  • To: yochanan bitan <ButhFam AT compuserve.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: RTL update - explanation
  • Date: Sun, 06 Dec 1998 18:25:40 +0000

The right-to-left utility of mine targets somewhat different needs than the
Hebrew-enabled Windows, by offering support for at least some of the
"western" Hebrew fonts that are commonly used in the academia and by
publishers - the variety of Hebrew fonts and codings used by folk who do not
run Hebrew OS is frustrating. While I do not wish to claim that the utility
can offer anywhere near the same degree of functionality as an OS that was
designed with right-to-left scripts in mind, there might be folk for whom it
will do satisfactorily (it does for me), and in some respect it might
perhaps offer a better service than the Hebrew-enabled Windows, especially
since this utility is not limited to Hebrew alone, but currently supports
also a Syriac font and I am hoping to implement support for Persian in the
near future (I will be quite happy to expand its functionality on request,
time permitting). Anyway, it is free and it can be downloaded from

http://www.frydrych.freeserve.co.uk/rtl/

Tomas

yochanan bitan wrote:

> or get the hebrew-enabled version of windows available at software stores
> throughout the Land in [3.11, '95 and] windows '98.

  • RTL update, Tomas Frydrych, 12/05/1998
    • <Possible follow-up(s)>
    • RTL update, yochanan bitan, 12/05/1998
      • Re: RTL update - explanation, Tomas Frydrych, 12/06/1998