b-hebrew - Re: Tense and Aspect --- formerly b-Hebrew digest

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Irene Riegner <iriegner AT concentric.net>
  • To: Bryan Rocine <596547 AT ican.net>
  • Cc: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Tense and Aspect --- formerly b-Hebrew digest
  • Date: Sat, 05 Dec 1998 23:11:58 -0500

erev tov, Bryan

thanks for your response

yes, it was thoughtful and the preaching was fine

i have to admit that when i translate hebrew, many times i give the
verbs "english" values because they make sense to me that way---ie
synchronicity, past perfect, etc---but whether they mean the same thing
in hebrew i'm not sure. and i don't really know the clues for these
time concepts.

but to show you that I probably don't understand the issue, i would like
to know how tense vs. aspect would affect the translation value of a
given phrase in BH.

irene