b-hebrew - Re: wqtl

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Bryan Rocine" <596547 AT ican.net>
  • To: "Matthew Anstey" <manstey AT portal.ca>, "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: wqtl
  • Date: Tue, 10 Nov 1998 16:24:12 -0500

Hi Matthew,

Yup, I would suspect LBH: A language on its way towards replacing
wayyiqtol with qatal. btw, the eventual replacement in Hebrew of
wayyiqtol by qatal suggests to me that although standard BH(pre-LBH) qatal
is compatible with wayyiqtol, it *does not* have the value of wayyiqtol.
The distinct distribution in discourse of the wayyiqtol and qatal in
standard BH(pre-LBH) also suggest distinct values. Common sense suggests
distinct values. So I wonder sometimes, if we didn't have this weight of
tradition behind the idea that wayyiqtol = qatal...let's say we just found
the Hebrew Scriptures in an urn in the desert last year...

dreaming again......',-)

Bryan

You wrote,

----------
> From: Matthew Anstey <manstey AT portal.ca>
> To: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
> Subject: wqtl
> Date: Monday, November 09, 1998 11:30 AM
>
> Dear, B-Hevarim,
>
> A while ago there was a discussion about w+qtl vis-a-vis wqtl, that is
> conversive and non-conversive waws on the suffix conjugation. Nicacci
wrote
> and said, as many grammarians now do, that he thinks all these waws are
> conversive, that non-conversive-waw + qtl does not exist. If this is the
> case, how would we understand Eze 37.11, "Our bones are dired up (qtl)
and
> our hope is gone (waw+qtl). We are cut off (qtl)."?
>
> Not only do I find Nicacci's verbal system difficult to apply here, I
also
> cannot see how Hatav's (1997) system works. He would argue (if I
understand
> him correctly) that the two qatals are "parasitic" on the R-time
> (reference-time) of the main action (here it is "speaking") but are
> non-sequential. He says that the wqtl is sequential and modal. But how is
> "our hope is gone" either sequential or modal here? (Hatav uses modal in
> tense-logic sense, not in a linguistic sense. ie possible worlds and
> time-branching tather than subjunctive).
>
> Perhaps both scholars would suggest that this is LBH, I don't know. Any
> suggestions? This seems to me to be possible evidence for non-conversive
> wqtl.
>
> Matthew Anstey
> By the way, Hatav's book is "The semantics of aspect and modality.
Evidence
> from English and biblical Hebrew." Studies in Language Companion Series.
> John Benjamins. 1997.

B. M. Rocine
Associate Pastor
Living Word Church