b-hebrew - Re: BHS in electronic form

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter_Kirk AT sil.org
  • To: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: BHS in electronic form
  • Date: Mon, 21 Sep 1998 12:18 -0500 (EST)

Thanks to Kirk for the explanation, and of course I understand why
there is a fee. But let me explain my frustration. The consensus on
this list seems to be that we should use the Michigan encoding. But
for this we need the BHS text in this encoding. Now I guess most of us
have a printed BHS and very likely also one or more electronic forms
incorporated in a Bible program, either commercial or (in my case) a
special in-house one for translators; and so the royalties have
already been paid. Now the texts used by the commercial programs have
presumably been derived from the Michigan BHS, but the format has been
changed to match the fonts used internally, and if there is any export
facility it is unlikely to use the Michigan format (and why should the
vendor add that facility - which just makes it easier for people to
make useful illegal copies of the text?). So those of us who want to
follow the guidelines for the list have to get (with expense and
difficulty) a copy of the Michigan text, or else try to recreate the
Michigan text with its non-intuitive spellings and so probably get it
wrong. I don't know what the answer is, but unfortunately there is a
problem.

Peter Kirk

  • BHS in electronic form, Kirk Lowery, 09/20/1998
    • <Possible follow-up(s)>
    • Re: BHS in electronic form, Peter_Kirk, 09/21/1998