b-hebrew - Re: discourse analysis

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Bryan Rocine" <596547 AT ican.net>
  • To: "Kirk Lowery" <KirkLowery AT xc.org>, "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: discourse analysis
  • Date: Sun, 20 Sep 1998 18:47:30 -0400

Dear Prof. van der Merwe, Kirk, et al,

Are such works on general discourse linguistics imperative for the second
or third year student of BH or Gk? Will seminaries require a course or two
in general linguistics? Let me put it another way ;-) Would *you*
require seminary students to take a couple linguistics courses as part of
their Biblical languages strand?

Thanks,
Bryan

----------
> From: Kirk Lowery <KirkLowery AT xc.org>
> To: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
> Subject: Re: discourse analysis
> Date: Friday, September 18, 1998 4:10 PM
>
> Prof. van der Merwe sent me the following I think is of interest:
>
> > Dear Kirk
> > One of best more general works I came across in recent years on
> > discourse analaysis is that of Georgakopoulou, A and Goutsos,
> > Dionysis. Discourse Analysis. An Introduction. Edinburgh: Edinburgh
> > University Press. 1997. ISBN 0 7486 0834 6. It is up-to-date, easy to
> > read and give an excellent overview of the current state of art on
> > each topic in the field of discourse analyis.
> > Friendly greetings
> > Christo H J van der Merwe
> > Centre for Bible Translation in Africa and
> > Eric Samson Chair for Biblical Hebrew Grammar
> > Department of Ancient Near Eastern Studies
> > University of Stellenbosch
> > Stellenbosch 7600
> > South Africa
> > + 27 21 8083655 (work)