b-hebrew - Re: Shoebox 4 for Windows and Macintosh is now available!

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter_Kirk AT sil.org
  • To: jonathan AT texcel.no, b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Shoebox 4 for Windows and Macintosh is now available!
  • Date: Thu, 17 Sep 1998 21:07 -0500 (EST)

Thank you, Jonathan, for the faith you put in SIL software in
recommending it without seeing it. Well, I had no part in writing
Shoebox 4 (and so cannot take the credit); but I have seen it,
although only today (by coincidence). I have been using Shoebox 3 for
over a year, to set up a working dictionary to help translation
between my target language and Hebrew. This is one type of application
for which Shoebox is suited; another is grammatical analysis: this
would be hard but not impossible to set up for Hebrew.

The advantage (as I see it) of Shoebox over other packages I have seen
is the complete flexibility of its language setup and definition. The
latest version has added proper support for right-to-left languages
and context-sensitive character shapes (both used in Hebrew - consider
the final forms) which work with normal western versions of Windows.
To use this needs certain setup files, which are provided (as a
sample) for (modern) Assyrian (which is still used as a mother
tongue!) which uses the Syriac alphabet. Maybe I can find a set of
setup files for Hebrew. I can let people have on request my Hebrew
language setup file which worked (including correct sorting of words)
with Shoebox 3 and the SIL Ezra Hebrew fonts (but the right-to-left
support was limited in this) - it should still work, but with the same
limitations, with Shoebox 4.

Does anyone know of a readily available Hebrew-English (or Hebrew-any
language) dictionary in electronic form? I would be looking for
something which could be adapted for use with Shoebox, rather than
something which can be accessed only through a complex software
package.

Peter Kirk