b-hebrew - Re: Jephthah and his daughter

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Chana Campos" <chana AT campos.org>
  • To: isheres AT mail.sdsu.edu, b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Jephthah and his daughter
  • Date: Wed, 16 Sep 1998 13:57:37 -0500

Thank you for your response.

I have a further question which may have already been answered - but
perhaps someone here can give me a pointer.

Many Christians point to this piece of scripture as an example
of G-d's support of blood sacrifice - with the subsequent "sacrifice" of
Jesus somehow being therefore not only "acceptable" but in accordance
with prophecy. It seems to me that Jeph. simply made a rash, foolish and
evil vow - one totally against Torah. And rather than back away from it - he
felt compelled to carry it out - even though it was an abomination.

It is akin to someone saying to a friend in anger "I'm going to murder you
for this!"
and then cooling off, realizing he really didn't mean that - but going ahead
and killing
his friend so that he can keep his vow.

Mankind has a long and rather "brilliant" career of *not* doing what HaShem
has
commanded. Why is this being construed differently?

Thanks for any and all feedback - it is gratefully appreciated.

Chana