b-hebrew - Re: qametz hatuf

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: alfred.silberman AT lmco.com (Al Silberman)
  • To: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Cc: Jim West <jwest AT Highland.Net>
  • Subject: Re: qametz hatuf
  • Date: Mon, 24 Aug 1998 08:37:04 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 20 Aug 1998 Jim West <jwest AT Highland.Net> wrote:

>>Cane anyone tell me which Hebrew vowel is/was known as
>>qamaz hatuf?
>
>its this one- t: (i.e.- the little t of the qametz with the shewa)- the
>qametz hatuf is a half vowel, pronounced as a shor "o".

In the time of the "Rishonim" (11th through 15th centuries approximately)
the terminology distinguished between a "xatuf qametz" and a "qametz
xatuf". A "xatuf qametz" - term still used today - is a schwa written in
combination with a qametz. The "qametz xatuf" is written as a qametz alone
and is today called a qametz qatan - the short vowel form for the xolem.