b-hebrew - [Fwd: Jussives & Cohortatives in Conditional Sentences]

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Paul Zellmer <zellmer AT cag.pworld.net.ph>
  • To: B-hebrew list <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Cc: Bryan Rocine <596547 AT ican.net>
  • Subject: [Fwd: Jussives & Cohortatives in Conditional Sentences]
  • Date: Mon, 24 Aug 1998 06:36:08 +0800

A response from Bryan for the list.

Paul

Ibanag Translation Project
Cabagan, Philippines

zellmer AT faith.edu.ph

--- Begin Message ---
  • From: "Bryan Rocine" <596547 AT ican.net>
  • To: "Paul Zellmer" <zellmer AT cag.pworld.net.ph>, <apbrown2 AT mci2000.com>
  • Cc: "B-hebrew list" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Date: Sun, 23 Aug 1998 17:10:42 -0400
Dear Paul and Philip,

If this post does not show up on the B-Hebrew list, would you forward it
there for me? Although I still seem to be in the good graces of Virginia,
Franklin seems to have closed the door to me.

You ask about Lev. 15:24 where we have the relatively uncommon sequence
yiqtol-weyiqtol in the protasis of a conditional or if/then-type of
statement. I don't think it contradicts my statement quoted below in which
I said the protasis *usually* has yiqtol for a "one condition" protasis and
yiqtol + some number of weqatals for multiple conditions. The typical
arrangement can be found in Lev 25:25 ff in which there are four conditions
in the protasis.

When the weqatal is used in the protasis, the line between the protasis and
the apodosis, which also typically begins with a weqatal, must be
determined by context, I guess.

The question, then, is about Lev 15:24 where we have yiqtol + weyiqtol in
the protasis. How is this different from yiqtol + weqatal? I believe the
yiqtol + weyiqtol syntax is for an "or" protasis and the yiqtol + weqatal
is for an "and" protasis. Compare Lev. 15:24(yiqtol + weyiqtol):

"If any man a-lying-lies with her *or* her discharge be upon him, then he
will be unclean..."

And Lev 25:25-27(yiqtol + weqatal + weqatal):

"When your brother grows poor, *and* he is then a seller from his
possessions, *and* his near (kin) redeemer is then a comer to him *and*
then is a redeemer of the sale of his brother...then he will be a counter
of..."

In the Lev 15 case, either condition renders the man unclean, and in the
Lev 25 case the lack of any of the condition specified by a weqatal renders
the entire command moot.

Shalom,
Bryan

B. M. Rocine
Associate Pastor
Living Word Church
6101 Court St. Rd.
Syracuse, NY 13208

315-437-6744(w)
315-479-8267(h)
----------
> From: Paul Zellmer <zellmer AT cag.pworld.net.ph>
> To: 596547 AT ican.net; apbrown2 AT mci2000.com
> Cc: B-hebrew list <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
> Subject: Re: Jussives & Cohortatives in Conditional Sentences
> Date: Friday, August 21, 1998 6:29 AM
>
> > Dear Philip,
> >
> > At 11:44 AM 8/15/98 -0700, you wrote:
> > >Shalom!
> > >
> > >I'm studying the dependent uses of the jussive and cohortative.
> > >
> > >Does anyone know whether the nature of the condition (e.g., assumed
true,
> > assumed false, future-more probable, etc.) determines what verb form
the
> > speaker chooses in the protasis of his conditional sentence?
> > >
> > >Thank you in advance.
> > >
> > >Philip Brown
> > >
> > Rocine wrote:
> > I am not sure what you are asking quite. Is the jussive/cohortative in
the
> > protasis or apodosis? I'm not sure wht you mean by "dependent uses of
the
> > jussive and cohortative." Some examples might help. I think the qatal
is
> > used in the protasis when the condition is assumed true or assumed
false,
> > and the yiqtol is used when the condition is considered possible or
> > probable. The "possible/probable" protasis, if continued to give
> > additional conditions, will often be continued by weqatal.
> >
> > Hoping to help,
> > Bryan
> >
> Bryan and Phil,
>
> In Phil's off-list response which I forwarded on to Bryan, he lists Lev.
> 15:24 as an example of the jussive in the protasis.
> I assume in the Leviticus passage, he is referring to the WuTHiY in the
> second clause. If this is in the protasis, then the clause gives an
> additional condition. Yet the form is yiqtol, which goes contrary to
> your statement above, right?

--- End Message ---

  • [Fwd: Jussives & Cohortatives in Conditional Sentences], Paul Zellmer, 08/23/1998