b-hebrew - Re: Jussives & Cohortatives in Conditional Sentences

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Paul Zellmer <zellmer AT cag.pworld.net.ph>
  • To: 596547 AT ican.net, apbrown2 AT mci2000.com
  • Cc: B-hebrew list <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Jussives & Cohortatives in Conditional Sentences
  • Date: Fri, 21 Aug 1998 18:29:46 +0800

> Dear Philip,
>
> At 11:44 AM 8/15/98 -0700, you wrote:
> >Shalom!
> >
> >I'm studying the dependent uses of the jussive and cohortative.
> >
> >Does anyone know whether the nature of the condition (e.g., assumed true,
> assumed false, future-more probable, etc.) determines what verb form the
> speaker chooses in the protasis of his conditional sentence?
> >
> >Thank you in advance.
> >
> >Philip Brown
> >

> I am not sure what you are asking quite. Is the jussive/cohortative in the
> protasis or apodosis? I'm not sure wht you mean by "dependent uses of the
> jussive and cohortative." Some examples might help. I think the qatal is
> used in the protasis when the condition is assumed true or assumed false,
> and the yiqtol is used when the condition is considered possible or
> probable. The "possible/probable" protasis, if continued to give
> additional conditions, will often be continued by weqatal.
>
> Hoping to help,
> Bryan

Bryan and Phil,

In Phil's off-list response which I forwarded on to Bryan, he lists Lev.
15:24 as an example of the jussive in the protasis. (For the benefit of
the rest on the list, he also gave the examples for cohortatives in
conditional sentences: Job 19:18 -- in protasis; Job 31:7-8 -- apodosis
[cf. GK 108d-e] and an example of jussives in the apodosis: Exo. 7:9.)
I assume in the Leviticus passage, he is referring to the WuTHiY in the
second clause. If this is in the protasis, then the clause gives an
additional condition. Yet the form is yiqtol, which goes contrary to
your statement above, right?

Of course, I could just as easily see this clause as being the first of
two in the apodosis. In this case, Phil, we still need an example of
the jussive in the protasis so we can look at it.

I'm not sure where we're going with this, but it's been a while since
the list looked into a question of this nature. It sort of falls
between the deep analysis of Rolf and Vince and Bryan (et al.) and the
surface "Can this word mean this?" questions that so often yield
theological interpretations. Maybe by bringing this from the Virginia
list to the UNC list, we can get more insights into Phil's area of
analysis.

Paul
Ibanag Translation Project
Cabagan, Philippines