b-hebrew - Re: Ba(al se(ar in 2 Ki 1:8

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Bill Ross" <wross AT farmerstel.com>
  • To: "B-Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Ba(al se(ar in 2 Ki 1:8
  • Date: Mon, 17 Aug 1998 17:10:04 -0500

This is another Lord of Hair:

2 Sam 14:26 And when he polled his head, (for it was at every year's end
that he polled it: because the hair was heavy on him, therefore he polled
it:) he weighed the hair of his head at two hundred shekels after the king's
weight.

From what I understand, there was a king's weight and a common weight. By
the king's weight, if my math is right, Absalom had about 5 pounds of the
stuff.