b-hebrew - Re: Ezek 24th chapter

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Lewis Reich" <LBR AT sprynet.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Ezek 24th chapter
  • Date: Thu, 13 Aug 1998 21:26:17 -0400

On 14 Aug 98, at 0:44, Ben Crick wrote:

> The prayer shawl is worn over the head
> when in use, so it is a "headdress" within the meaning of the act, I
> suppose. But surely the /TsiYTsiTh/ are fringes on the hems of garments,

I don't know a great deal about the evolution of clothing during the relevant
time period. However, to the best of my knowledge, the "prayer shawl" only
came into use once it was no longer the practice to wear clothing that had
the
requisite "four corners" on which to fasten the required fringes.

Lewis Reich
LBR AT sprynet.com