anima - [Anima Dance] Performers' Rights Initiative

anima@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Anima Dance

  • From: Rachel Brooker <brooker.rachel@gmail.com>
  • To: anima dance <anima@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Anima Dance] Performers' Rights Initiative
  • Date: Sat, 17 Dec 2011 13:53:02 +0100

Hi Y'all,

So every now and then I am seized by a desire to change the world, no through art, but through activism. This happened recently, as I read about the current controversy sparked by Yvonne Rainer's comments on working conditions for performers in a show of Marina Abramovic's work in LA. Suddenly I had an idea how dancers can, taking advantage of the flexibility and speed of electronic communication and social networking, develop the strength in numbers that we need to transform the culture of the performance industry, so that fairness and respect for our work can become a given and not an exception.

I created a new website/group (what's happening to me?!;): the Performers' Rights Initiative, and got in touch with Sara Wookey, the dancer who turned down Abramovic's job offer and sparked a press response with her Open Letter to Artists. In collaboration with Wookey and other dance artists working in Europe and the US, I have written two texts as tools for dance artists negotiating transparency and fair pay-- the introduction and both texts are online here. This is a very simple idea for effecting change with no budget and no stress by articulating a collective vision where it counts. Take a look, pass the word, use the tools (to accompany a polite no and request for transparency in hiring) and let me know what you think.

and now, i'm off... until the new year!

best-
Rachel

  • [Anima Dance] Performers' Rights Initiative, Rachel Brooker, 12/17/2011