anima - [Anima Dance] WORLDVOTE and Motion#1

anima@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Anima Dance

  • From: "Rachel Brooker" <brooker.rachel@gmail.com>
  • To: "anima dance" <anima@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Anima Dance] WORLDVOTE and Motion#1
  • Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2008 14:55:20 +0100

Hi All-

Back in Berlin and holding 2 events this week. Spread the word!!

WORLDVOTE
Tuesday, February 5th (Super Tuesday!), 7-10 pm
Election returns on CNN starting at 11pm

Bar „Wahlkreis"
        Reinhardtstr. 37
        10117 Berlin-Mitte
        www.wahlkreis.com

WORLDVOTE is an opportunity for non-US citizens to have a voice in the US Presidential Primaries.
See below or click here for more.

Motion#1
February 8th, 2008
ada studio, Schönhauserallee 73, 2. OG
DUSTTODUST, a short dance film featuring Brooker as dancer and choreographer, produced by artist John Coombes, will screen for the first time in Berlin at "Motion#1", the first in a series of evenings of video-dance works at ada studio Berlin.
(Click here for more information.)

WORLDVOTE

WORLDVOTE will kick off with a public forum in Berlin on February 5th, 2008 (Super Tuesday) in which the gathered group decides how to cast a collective vote in the Democratic presidential primary. Rachel Brooker and several other expatriates from the United States have pledged their votes to the group. WORLDVOTE will start at 7 pm at Wahlkreis, a bar at Reinhardstraße 37, Mitte (www.wahlkreis.com). CNN coverage of the Primary returns begins at 11.

Why?
•    Make a single vote count for more by using it to spark debate
•    Even the score by giving non-US citizens, who are profoundly influenced by US policy decisions, a voice in the electoral process
•    Give the international public a feel for the subjective experience of voting in the US, and the scope, and limits, of what we can achieve with our votes
•    Provide a public example of US citizens working toward international mutuality, counter to the widespread international impression of our politics and culture

At the event, each of the expats sharing their votes will have an opportunity to tell the assembled group how they would vote on their own. Those present who'd like to cast the group vote otherwise will have to defend their choice of candidate. The group will debate the merits of the candidates and then vote. The real votes will be divided proportionally among the group's top picks.

And of course, this is a warm-up for the big event this fall, when the citizens of Berlin gather to choose a new President of the United States.

Rachel Brooker, the event organizer, has lived in Berlin since January 2006. She is a dancer/choreographer producing choreography with her company Anima Dance (www.animadance.org) in Berlin and worldwide. She's currently working on a project about being a US citizen: "Oh Beautiful: My Patriot Act" will premiere this year in Berlin. About WORLDVOTE, she says: "I care very much about my country and have struggled over the past years to find a way to express my desire for change. WORLDVOTE is the culmination of that process."

For more visit www.animadance.org or email brooker.rachel@gmail.com.