anima - [Anima Dance] Creative Body workshops, April and May

anima@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Anima Dance

  • From: Rachel Brooker <rachel_brooker@yahoo.com>
  • To: anima dance <anima@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Anima Dance] Creative Body workshops, April and May
  • Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2005 10:22:46 -0800 (PST)

Hi everyone:
These are my first Creative Body workshops in the area. Please consider signing up or passing the word to anyone you know who might be interested.
I want these workshops to be a gathering of local dancers/choreographers/improvisers, and to be welcoming for people with less experience as well. As well as creating a gathering of dancers, registering will benefit these great local studios. If you are interested but broke, contact me anyway. Email me at rachel_brooker@yahoo.com for more information.

Rachel Brooker

Sensation and Memory: What the Body Knows
a Creative Body workshop, Saturday, April 16th, 1-4 pm

Wellness Partners in the Arts, 319 W. Main St., Downtown Durham, info@wpadurham.com, 919-680-2562

In this workshop, we will do individual and group exercises designed to strengthen and warm the body and develop performance, partnering and movement-making skills. We will each develop a movement phrase from personal sources, using a combination of improvisation and sense-memory, and will develop these phrases as a group. Teacher Rachel Brooker draws on her experience in a variety of dance and bodywork techniques to create her supportive, transformative teaching technique.

$35 (Scholarships and work-study available).

For more information or to register contact rachel_brooker@yahoo.com.

Momentum and Meaning: Weight and Intention in Partnering

a Creative Body workshop, Saturday, May 14th, 1-4 pm

Stargrass Studio for Movement Arts, 3103 Pump Station Lane, Durham

In this workshop, we will explore the power of weight and momentum in solo and partnered movement, and will deal with both the mechanics and the poetics of partnering. This workshop is ideal for both the seasoned partner and the dancer who is uncomfortable with partnering and wants to learn new skills. Teacher Rachel Brooker draws on her experience in a variety of dance and bodywork techniques to create her supportive, transformative teaching technique.

$35 (Scholarships and work-study available).

For more information, directions, or to register contact rachel_brooker@yahoo.com.

Workshops can be attended individually or as a series. If you register for both workshops, the fee is $60 and includes a discount on future workshops.

  • [Anima Dance] Creative Body workshops, April and May, Rachel Brooker, 03/25/2005