aifia-announce - AIfIA Newsletter for 03-November 2004

aifia-announce AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: IA Institute announcements.

  • From: Austin Govella <austin AT grafofini.com>
  • To: aifia-announce AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: AIfIA Newsletter for 03-November 2004
  • Date: Fri, 05 Nov 2004 08:58:17 -0600

The AIfIA newsletter features news about AIfIA and our partner
sites: Boxes and Arrows, IAslash, and IAwiki. We’ve also added a
list of conferences and workshops at the end, so scroll down!

---- AIFIA NEWS - http://www.aifia.org ----

1. IA Summit Proposals Due November 6:
The call for papers for the 2005 IA summit in Montreal will close
Saturday, November 6. Poster proposals are accepted through December
5. Visit the IA Summit website for instructions and to submit your
proposal online.
- http://iasummit.org

2. IA Best Sourcing vs. Outsourcing:
Victor Lombardi writes on outsourcing, offshoring, and opportunities
for IAs and designers. You can read the editorial on the AIfIA
website.
- http://aifia.org/news/000391.php

3. Sponsored event - Online Information 2004:
Lou Rosenfeld leads a track dedicated to IA at this years Online
Information 2004, a conference for information content and
information management solutions. AIfIA members recieve a 15%
discount for the conference that runs 30 November through 2 December
in London, UK. Conference chair and AIfIA member Martin White is
organizing a F2F for AIfIA attendees.
- http://www.online-information.co.uk

---- WHAT'S NEW WITH OUR PARTNERS
IAslash, IAwiki, and Boxes and Arrows ----

---- IASLASH: http://www.iaslash.org ----
Daily news for IAs, operated by AIfIA. A few good links posted
recently:

1. Some thoughts and works on taxonomy, search and "folksonomy"
- http://iaslash.org/node/view/7624

2. Open source Rich Internet App server
- http://iaslash.org/node/view/7622

3. Collection of IA related research
- http://iaslash.org/node/view/7619

---- IAWIKI: http://www.IAwiki.net ----
A collaborative discussion space for IA. Anyone can contribute; no
registration required. Interesting topics from the past month:

1. How can I integrate website indexes?
- http://www.iawiki.net/WebSiteIndexes

2. What’s a page block diagram?
- http://www.iawiki.net/PageBlockDiagram

Looking for Recent Changes to the IAwiki?
- http://www.IAwiki.net/RecentChanges

---- BOXES AND ARROWS: http://www.boxesandarrows.com ----
The definitive source for the complex task of bringing architecture
and design to the digital landscape. Articles from the past month:

1. All watched over by machines of loving grace: Some ethical
guidelines for user experience in ubiquitous-computing settings
(by Adam Greenfield )
The threat and promise of ubicomp: Ubicomp represents a substantial
raising of stakes; its field of operation is by definition total;
and its potential for harm is such that the user experience is too
important to leave to chance.
- http://tinyurl.com/6s87p

2. Use of Narrative in Interactive Design
(by Nancy Broden, Marisa Gallagher, Jonathan Woytek)
There will, and should always be, a tension between order and chaos,
between standardization and creativity. So how do we invest
creativity in our process? How do we reinvest ourselves into our
work without starting from scratch every time?
- http://tinyurl.com/5gsyo

3. Wireframe Annotations in Visio: Special Deliverable #11
(by Dan Brown )
Few information architects tap the full power of Visio. For the IA,
Visio is a means to an end—a mechanism for capturing some ideas on
paper before they are transformed into graphics, HTML, and code.
- http://tinyurl.com/3zwlx

Read other recent Boxes and Arrows articles:
- http://boxesandarrows.com/archives/2004_10.php

---- UPCOMING CONFERENCES & EVENTS -- arranged chronologically ----

Happy Hour w/ Peter Morville (cosponsored by DCIA)
A post-seminar happy hour for Peter Morville’s IA and Findability
workshop. Everyone is welcome (even if you don’t attend the seminar)
18 Nov 2004 in Washington DC, USA
5:30-6:30 PM at the Dubliner, 520 N. Capitol St.
- The Dubliner: http://www.dublinerdc.com
- DCIA: http://www.dc-ia.com
- Peter’s seminar: http://semanticstudios.com/presentations/iaf/

Online Information 2004 (sponsored event)
30 Nov - 2 Dec 2004 in London, UK
AIfIA members recieve a 15% discount.
- http://www.online-information.co.uk/

IA Summit 2005 - Crossing Boundaries
4-7 Mar 2005 in Montreal, Quebec, Canada
AIfIA members register at the member rate.
- http://iasummit.org/

---- UPCOMING WORKSHOPS -- arranged chronologically ----

Enterprise Information Architecture (workshop by Lou Rosenfeld)
8 Nov 2004 in San Jose, CA, USA
- http://louisrosenfeld.com/presentations/seminars/eia/

Redesigning Blogger (workshop by Adaptive Path)
8 Nov 2004 in San Francisco, CA, USA
AIfIA members receive a 15% discount with promotion code AFT3.
- http://adaptivepath.com/events/2004/sfo/

Information Architecture and Findability (workshop by Peter
Morville)
18 Nov 2004 in Washington DC, USA
AIfIA members receive a 10% discount.
- http://semanticstudios.com/presentations/iaf/

Elements of User Experience (workshop by Adaptive Path)
6 Dec 2004 in Chicago, IL, USA
AIfIA members receive a 15% discount with promotion code AFT3.
- http://adaptivepath.com/events/2004/dec/

----

Comments about this newsletter? Questions? Things you'd like to see
included in future issues?
--> aifia-announce-owner AT lists.ibiblio.org

Want to unsubscribe or change your existing subscription?