aifia-announce - AIfIA Newsletter for 07-July 2003

aifia-announce AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: IA Institute announcements.

  • From: Jeff Lash <jeff AT jefflash.com>
  • To: AIfIA Announce List <aifia-announce AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: AIfIA Newsletter for 07-July 2003
  • Date: Mon, 07 Jul 2003 14:32:05 -0500

Asilomar Institute for Information Architecture
--> http://www.aifia.org

The AIfIA newsletter is published every other week
(pretty much) and features news about what's new with
AIfIA and with our partner sites.

So let's get to the news!

---- WHAT'S NEW WITH AIFIA -- http://www.aifia.org ----

1) AIfIA Translation Project
Just launched -- the AIfIA Translation Project is
translating information architecture (IA) resources and
articles to and from eight languages, including Danish,
Dutch, French, Italian, Japanese, Portuguese and
Spanish.
--> PRESS RELEASE -- http://aifia.org/news/000168.php
--> TRANSLATIONS -- http://aifia.org/translations/

2) AIfIA Salary Survey
Just launched -- the results of a salary survey
conducted by AIfIA, with responses from over 180 IA
professionals and related practitioners.
--> RESULTS -- http://aifia.org/pg/salary_survey_2003.php

3) AIfIA JOB BOARD
The AIfIA job board advertises Information Architecture
and related job openings. Anyone can post job openings
for free, but you have to be a member to view the
listings.
--> MORE INFO -- http://aifia.org/jobboard/

4) AIfIA FACE-TO-FACE
AIfIA organizes a variety of informal Face 2 Face (F2F)
meetings to foster discussion and professional
networking. Membership is not required to attend these
events. The next AIfIA F2F will be in Portland, Oregon
(USA) on July 19. Details are available on the web
site:
--> SAT 19-JUL F2F -- http://aifia.org/calendar/000154.php
--> ALL F2F EVENTS -- http://aifia.org/calendar/

5) AIfIA INITIATIVES
Wondering what AIfIA is up to? Want to see how you can
get involved? The new AIfIA Initiatives page has a list
of all of the projects that AIfIA is working on.
--> CHECK IT OUT: http://aifia.org/pg/initiatives.php

---- WHAT'S NEW WITH OUR PARTNERS ----

-- IASLASH -- http://www.iaslash.org

Some good links that have been posted to iaslash in the
past few weeks:

Information Foraging
--> http://iaslash.org/node.php?id=7400

Understanding information taxonomy helps build better apps
--> http://iaslash.org/node.php?id=7396

iaslash is daily news for information architects,
operated by AIfIA
--> http://www.iaslash.org/

-- BOXES AND ARROWS -- http://www.boxesandarrows.com/

Two good recent Boxes and Arrows articles:

1) Ten Quotable Moments: Challenges and Responses for
UI Designers
Normally I would write a traditional conference
overview to inform people about the recent Designing
for User Experiences conference (DUX) held in San
Francisco, June 6-8. Instead, I would like to impart a
few of the impressions I came away with and recommend
that everyone go to the AIGA Case Study Archive to read
the papers that were accepted.
--> http://tinyurl.com/g8tt

2) Remote Online Usability Testing: Why, How, and When
to Use It
Traditional, one-on-one usability testing is a great
technique for uncovering usability issues on a website.
Unfortunately, in-person usability testing isn¹t always
feasible due to tight schedules, tight budgets, and
elusive target users. So what¹s a usability crusader to
do when in-person usability testing is impossible?
--> http://tinyurl.com/dxr2

Read other recent Boxes and Arrows articles:
--> http://boxesandarrows.com/archives/2003_06.php

All previous articles by categories
--> http://boxesandarrows.com/archives/cat_index.php

Boxes and Arrows is the definitive source for the
complex task of bringing architecture and design to the
digital landscape.
--> http://boxesandarrows.com/

-- IAWIKI -- http://www.IAwiki.net/

What is Contextual Serendipity?
--> http://www.IAwiki.net/ContextualSerendipity

Broad vs. deep heirarchy -- which one is better?
--> http://www.IAwiki.net/BroadVsDeepHierarchy

Looking for Recent Changes to the IAwiki?
--> http://www.IAwiki.net/RecentChanges

IAwiki is a collaborative discussion space for the
topic of Information Architecture. Anyone can
contribute, and there are no pre-registration hoops to
jump thru.
--> http://www.IAwiki.net/

-- ARGUS CENTER FOR INFORMATION ARCHITECTURE --
http://argus-acia.com/

An oldie-but-goodie from the ACIA:

Interview with Mark Hurst

I'd planned to interview Mark Hurst, but an argument
broke out instead. Well, not an argument, but a
"spirited discussion" about customer experience and how
it relates to (Mark might say squashes) other fields
like information architecture and usability
engineering. We did a bit of sparring on CHI-WEB, and
this interview seemed like a great way to "take if
off-line," as the list moderators would say. Mark is
the founder of Creative Good, and...well heck, let's
let him tell his own story.

--> http://argus-acia.com/people/hurst_profile.html

----

Comments about this newsletter? Questions? Things you'd
like to see included in future issues?
--> aifia-announce-owner AT lists.ibiblio.org

Want to unsubscribe or change your existing
subscription?