acawiki-general - [acawiki-general] Expanding scope?

acawiki-general AT lists.ibiblio.org

  • From: Kẏra <kxra AT riseup.net>
  • To: acawiki-general AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [acawiki-general] Expanding scope?
  • Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2014 04:53:28 -0500

I found AcaWiki while looking for a wiki-based alternative to SparkNotes/CliffNotes, a WikiNotes of sorts (specifically because I knew that such a thing would probably also cover academic articles). I was surprised that it was specific to academic articles and only open to some exceptions:
http://acawiki.org/AcaWiki:FAQ#What_about_non-peer-reviewed_research.3F

My two questions are "Why?" and "Is this something that can change?"

WikiSummaries seems to do what I'm talking about, but registration seems to be closed: http://www.wikisummaries.org/Main_Page

Why not merge these efforts? The only issue I see is that the name 'AcaWiki' doesn't seem to make sense for including non-academic works.

When I searched for WikiNotes, I actually found another project that might be a cool future expansion of AcaWiki: course notes. We could keep the main wiki for summaries, and then subdomains for different universities to allow students to take notes on their courses, and easy linking to the articles/books/etc discussed in class could be a powerful combo, especially in terms of getting more contributors to the main wiki.

Best,
Kẏra

--
Board of Directors, Free Culture Foundation: www.freeculture.org