acawiki-general - Re: [acawiki-general] CrossRef API

acawiki-general AT lists.ibiblio.org

  • From: Mike Linksvayer <ml AT gondwanaland.com>
  • To: acawiki-general AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [acawiki-general] CrossRef API
  • Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2014 16:32:47 -0700

On 08/25/2014 02:26 AM, Jodi Schneider wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 22, 2014 at 7:10 AM, Mike Linksvayer <ml AT gondwanaland.com
> <mailto:ml AT gondwanaland.com>> wrote:
> I read recently that an entry for every academic article is in-scope for
> Wikidata; that could be another source to pull info from. Yes, it was at
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia_talk:WikiProject_Open#Open_bibliographic_and_citation_data_in_Wikidata
> -- "Among other things, [
> https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Wikidata:WikiProject_Source_MetaData ]
> aims to create Wikidata entries for as many academic articles as
> possible."
>

> I think the question we have to ask now is whether we want to keep
> AcaWiki as a separate wiki, or try to get a summary feature added into
> WikiProject Source and contribute the content to that effort.
>
> Thoughts?

It'd be amazing to have summary property added to wikidata (the
wikiproject just coordinates work in a particular area, the property
would be available to anything in wikidata) though I suspect would be
out of scope; existing properties of which there are many --
https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Wikidata:List_of_properties/all_in_one_table
-- don't seem to be free-form text that might be gradually improved (the
ones with datatype string seem to be expecting values from controlled
vocabularies or short names). With the exception of labels, which are
effectively nanosummaries, considerably shorter than 140c by convention
it seems.

I suspect if a summary property made it into wikidata anyway, the
convention would be tighter than some of what exists (well, that I've
dumped into) acawiki. But that would probably not be enough of a
mismatch to merit not just redirecting existing acawiki summaries to
wikidata items, if wikidata had summary property.

Again it'd be amazing to have a summary property added to wikidata,
acawiki and journal articles aside. I imagine this has been discussed
(and deemed out of scope or politically untenable) but quick searching
doesn't turn anything up. Anyone feel free to ask/suggest in appropriate
wikidata venue!

Mike