acawiki-general - Re: [acawiki-general] CrossRef API

acawiki-general AT lists.ibiblio.org

  • From: Jodi Schneider <jschneider AT pobox.com>
  • To: "AcaWiki general (listserv)" <acawiki-general AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [acawiki-general] CrossRef API
  • Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2014 11:26:03 +0200

On Fri, Aug 22, 2014 at 7:10 AM, Mike Linksvayer <ml AT gondwanaland.com> wrote:
On 08/21/2014 06:24 AM, Jodi Schneider wrote:
> It appears that CrossRef metadata is now available in new ways... What's
> the licensing? Could we use this for AcaWiki?
>
> Code for the CrossRef API is
> https://github.com/CrossRef/rest-api-doc/blob/master/rest_api.md
>
> Some more info
> http://blog.martinfenner.org/2014/07/24/dont-reinvent-the-wheel/
>
> Thoughts?

We could have an option for summary creation like the bibtex one, but
instead of providing some bibtex, user provides a DOI, which an
extension could ask CrossRef about and pre-populate new summary
accordingly. Someone would have to write this extension.

Searched and couldn't find anything about licensing. Clearly these facts
are free...

Woot!!!

I read recently that an entry for every academic article is in-scope for
Wikidata; that could be another source to pull info from. Yes, it was at
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia_talk:WikiProject_Open#Open_bibliographic_and_citation_data_in_Wikidata
--  "Among other things, [
https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Wikidata:WikiProject_Source_MetaData ]
aims to create Wikidata entries for as many academic articles as possible."

I think the question we have to ask now is whether we want to keep AcaWiki as a separate wiki, or try to get a summary feature added into WikiProject Source and contribute the content to that effort.

Thoughts?

-Jodi

Mike