acawiki-general - Re: [acawiki-general] Proposal: AcaWiki to BY-SA

acawiki-general AT lists.ibiblio.org

  • From: Mike Linksvayer <ml AT gondwanaland.com>
  • To: Samuel Klein <meta.sj AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: "AcaWiki general \(listserv\)" <acawiki-general AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [acawiki-general] Proposal: AcaWiki to BY-SA
  • Date: Wed, 6 Mar 2013 08:37:18 -0800

On Tue, Mar 5, 2013 at 4:01 PM, Samuel Klein <meta.sj AT gmail.com> wrote:
The right software solution is to also add a user pref that lets you set your default license pref.  (including 0, BY, SA).

User pref would be nice to have, but I don't know how would interact with necessary license field on submission form (eg I, pref set to CC0, might be copying BY-SA article). Presumably would require programming. Unless someone does it, will have to live without this. https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?title=Special:Preferences&success=1#mw-prefsection-uploads maybe would serve as a bit of guidance.

Yes, we could have an "SA troll" who comes by and edits all pages once with minor edits to set their license; yes, flagged revs would catch this.  But even if this happens via "real" edits, it would satisfy me: the default editor who flies by, posts a few summaries, and leaves, will have their initial contribution available in history under BY.

Agreed.

And it lets me contribute my own work under [BY] in a much more recognizable way than by posting to a SA-only site and having an impossible-to-find personal subpage noting "all my contributions are also available under CC-0".

A user page is hardly impossible to find, and directly on the user page, not a subpage, is how I've seen it done.

Mike