[permaculture] in transition or in an emergency

João Pedro Moreira Gonçalves joaovox at gmail.com
Thu Jan 24 03:10:03 EST 2019

Dear friends,

actions and meaning are context dependent.

are we acting as if we are in transition or as if we are in an emergency?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emergency

An *emergency* is a situation that poses an immediate risk to health
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Health>, life
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Life>, property
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Property>, or environment
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natural_environment>.[1]
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emergency#cite_note-1> Most emergencies
require urgent intervention to prevent a worsening of the situation,
although in some situations, mitigation may not be possible and agencies
may only be able to offer palliative care for the aftermath.

While some emergencies are self-evident (such as a natural disaster
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natural_disaster> that threatens many
lives), many smaller incidents require that an observer (or affected party)
decide whether it qualifies as an emergency. The precise definition of an
emergency, the agencies involved and the procedures used, vary by
jurisdiction, and this is usually set by the government
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Government>, whose agencies (emergency
services <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emergency_service>) are responsible
for emergency planning and management.

How to better comunicate about emergency?

Answers:

1. act as if you are in an emergency ...
2. know your neighbors, learn how they make meaning, how they see the
world, what their values are
3. learn about refugee camps
4.
5.
6.
7.

Looking forward to hear from you.

Best regards,

João

at Finca Equilibrium farm, 50kms east of Lisboa Portugal

--
João Gonçalves
Agroecologia e Permacultura