[permaculture] THE MOVEMENT...EVOLVING

Scott Pittman scott at permaculture.org
Sat Apr 21 11:38:03 EDT 2018

I think this can be "a" step, "the next big step" not hardly.  I don't
have much faith in "Transition Town" they don't seem to have much
traction in the U.S.A.  Too much focus on process and too little on
action seems the most common complaint.

I also have given up on the IPC; I have flogged "invisible structures"
through four IPC's with my Elephant in the Room sessions and have been
met with scorn, approbation, and lack of interest.  The genome seems to
be configured to capitalism in most humans and I see that greed trumps
(that word again) "care". Without a major focus on ethics permaculture
is mired in the swamp of "herbal spirals" and "swales" and I, frankly,
am bored to tears with both subjects.

What brought me to permaculture was the ethics, principals and invisible
structures; all the rest was "technique".  Seems we have lost our focus
and are slipping back into the same old paradigm we were fighting to
overcome.  The core of permaculture  is "care" and care translates into
love in most cultures.  Love has been at the core of virtually every
spiritual tradition since the maternalistic societies of the middle east
and as such have endured the ravages of time, though much diminished by
religiosity
a "carrot/stick" pedagogy.

Where that leaves me is to continue thinking my way through how to
escape the mire of the current paradigm ( and certainly Trump is a huge
harbinger of this paradigm) without violence, and lies.  I am still
puzzling my way through my book "Dharma of Permaculture", but it is not
an easy task.  I am also trying to maintain so faith in the divine
nature of man, though I often want to sink into the nihilistic "fuck it".

Scott Pittman
Permaculture Institute

On 4/20/2018 10:50 AM, Steve Hart wrote:
> This event could be the next big step ?
>
> https://blog.p2pfoundation.net/transition-together-an-international-symposium-on-the-need-for-societal-transitions-and-systems-level-change/2018/02/19
>
> ​I assume there will be many UK Permies in attendance and also sure we all
> look fwd to the summaries and ongoing steps. Finally it seems many of our
> "Invisible Structures" are coming out of the closet. Perhaps the reality
> and truth behind all the ghosts and smoking mirrors will be exposed to to
> allow us to better interpret where we have come from and how our societies
> have been conditioned, to then move forward.  Hopefully we can evolve this
> thread through IPCs​
>

> *Steve Hart*
> *Ecology Architect​. *
> Designer, Teacher, Builder of Ecologically Sustainable Resilient
> Environments, through Urban Design, Architecture, Landscape Architecture
> and Systems Ecology.​
> Skype: tipenemanawa
> Phone: +64 220 75 62 11
>

> The Permaculture International College
> www.permaculture <http://www.permaculturecollege.eu>education.com
> https://permaculturecollege.academia.edu/SteveHart

Best regards, Scott Pittman Director Permaculture Institute