[permaculture] help needed - teaching permaculture to youth

Steve Hart stevenlawrencehart at gmail.com
Mon Apr 9 14:36:53 EDT 2018

Hi Amir

I am meeting with a year 13 class of 17 yr olds at an urban college of very
low decile community today. They have had Permaculture evolving as a
subject and their tutors would like to have them meet someone who has
developed a cateer path from Permaculture. There seems to be considerable
interest from educ authorities to evolve the whole subject. so we will see
what we can evolve.

Perhaps we could collaborate and share a global connection.

Best regards

[image: Picture]
*Steve Hart*
*Ecology Architect*
*Designer, Teacher, Builder of Ecologically Sustainable Resilient
Environments, through Urban Design, Architecture, Landscape Architecture
and Systems Ecology.​*
Skype: tipenemanawa
Phone: +64 220 75 62 11

Permaculture Global Design:
www.permacultureglobaldesign.org

The Permaculture International College
www.permaculturecollege.eu
https://permaculturecollege.academia.edu/SteveHart

www.permaculturepartnerships.com

On 10 April 2018 at 01:57, Amir Redzic via permaculture <
permaculture at lists.ibiblio.org> wrote:

> [...]
> subject and gain more knowledge of permaculture for themselves. In other
> words, brainstorming. Have them bring books and magazines with them to the
> meeting to show others that they think might be Permaculture-related. My
> introduction to permaculture involved a learning session of that sort that
> included a display of literature on permaculture, natural agriculture,
> homesteading and the social aspects of permaculture. This was followed with
> learning opportunities that involved visiting fellow students' farms and
> homesteads to brainstorm and find permaculture solutions to problems they
> had at their sites, things such as drainage, livestock forage, cropping,
> soil quality and more.
>
> Go to the message archives for this list and look at them month by month.
> Pick the sort by subject or thread options and look at the subject headers
> for the messages. This should give you plenty of ideas for topics to
> include in your lectures and workshops. There should also be notices of
> similar events with lists of topics that would be presented. If you need
> more information to include with the topics you cover you should find
> plenty of that in the messages in the threads. Also just do searches using
> Google for similar resources. A few key words might include permaculture
> ethics, principles, methods, design, community, agriculture, architecture,
> landscape, and more.
>
> Here is something I found with a Google search:
>
> "weave ecologically sound design patterns that connect the earth, people,
> plants and animals
> theory and practice of permaculture, in-depth learning providing a working
> knowledge of permaculture
> design and implementation. hands-on projects, lectures, discussions, slide
> shows, field trips and design projects"
>
>         * Permaculture philosophy and methodology
>         * Observation skills and site analysis
>         * Natural cycles and pattern recognition
>         * Ponds, swales and keyline systems
>         * Soil building, erosion control
>         * Animals and their place in the system
>         * Edible landscaping, organic gardening
>         * Integrated pest management
>         * Agroforestry management and tree crops
>         * Appropriate technology and housing
>         * Energy conservation
>         * Urban permaculture and village design
>         * Community economics
>

> Are you located in Sarajevo, Bosnia?
>
> Good luck with your gathering! Please post a report on how it went.
>
> Lawrence London
> Chapel Hill, N.C., U.S.A.
>

> > As of now, I am planning on doing a "web of life" game and a simple
> > lecture/discussion with a flip-chart. However, I am not sure about the
> > lecture part. I would like the workshop to be interactive, playful and
> > practical, rather than theoretical.
> >
> > With love and gratitude,
> > AmirSarajevo
> > permaculture mailing list
> > permaculture at lists.ibiblio.org
> > subscribe/unsubscribe|user config|list info:

Kia ora Ehoa