[permaculture] IPC values ?

Steve Hart stevenlawrencehart at gmail.com
Fri Jun 19 19:56:03 EDT 2015

Hi Darren et al..thanks for your retort. Good to get some stimuli at least,
to hopefully evolve a constructive debate.

There are many parts to this whole subject, issue and debate. We all know
that Permaculture is a Design Philosophy set from ethics based on
principles. It is a great mantra to help keep us in the groove of what many
of us aspire to. We also know there are many shortcomings to the whole
discipline evolved through Permaculture since its inception. The greatest
IMO is the lack of design capacity in all who carry on any initiative under
its banner. We know also Mollisons drive to just get out there and do it.
However he also set in place the Diploma structures to help build the
capacities needed. Sadly much of that has been ignored, abused and eroded.

In the world of design anyone can call oneself a designer. My history is a
journey through the professional arenas of land use design in Architecture,
Landscape Architecture and Urban Design fusing such with Permaculture. I
have evolved my design critique through the severe frames within that
associated professional world. The critiques are severe, but often far too
few.

Many of us have seen many failures labelled as Permaculture Designs. There
was a move to establish a Permaculture Designers Guild once but that failed
due to ego and avarice amongst other things. One way of evolving good
models is to have them go through a peer review or similar critique
process.

Should we as a global collective similarly critique our activities at this
level. We have our international conferences as a flagship to our doctrine
which ideally show the world excellence in our, achievements, work and
needs.  For the purposes of evolving greater attraction and recognition and
support from the wider community I think that is obvious, we must. As a
strong supporter of IPCs I like to offer my 20 cents worth to develop a
more successful event for all parties. Very early in the development of
IPC12 in London seeing the theme, I offered my comments on potential
valuable key note speakers. ( Attached ) Perhaps we may see some of them.
These were people of international significance who could offer much in
many areas of design to all layers of Permaculture. Presently I do not see
any key note speakers fitting the bill. You included Darren.

 You state Darren  *"I think you need to put up or shut up as I will be
darned if I am going to accept your assertion that I am not a designer."*

What would you like me to *"put up"* ? These opinions are mine, I own them,
for the reasons stated. I also enjoy the freedom to offer critique, good
bad ugly or indifferent. Personally I feel it is a positive exercise for
all involved. If you present yourself as a global expert in Permaculture
Design Darren, what then, are your flagships of successful design ?

You also ask *"Furthermore I’d love to see your track record out and
exposed for all to see" * I have no problem with having my track record
exposed. I hide nothing and am open to any communique about any activity
viewpoint or assertion I make. Perhaps this site is the only facility
anyone can present their views on any subject without it being edited. A
very welcome energy IMO.

You also say *"something that in this space I have been particularly avid
at doing without fear or favour".  *It is great you have no fear to offer
such, nor do I. But I do enjoy honest creative inputs to evolve greater
outcomes. Rather than the abuse, emotional retort, inuendos, insults and
vitriol we do witness at times.

You and Lisa have obviously done a huge amount to spreading many good
elements of Permaculture to many across the globe. This is seemingly IMO a
business choice you have made. You have also created your own label away
from the world of Permaculture and out of it. You have also developed a
number of good tools and more coming on line soon it seems.

We are aware of the challenges of the next generation and what our
challenges are in this world. How we can work constructively together and
assist each other is another challenge. To offer constructive critique I
think has many positive attributes at least it may help this discipline
become stronger and more qualified.

Liker always I do look fwd to the creative constructive debate for such ends

Steve Hart