[permaculture] IPC values ?

christopher nesbitt christopher.nesbitt at mmrfbz.org
Tue Jun 16 11:02:08 EDT 2015

One of the things the IPC makes possible is the broad dissemination of information and the meeting of people who might otherwise not meet. I am a long time permaculturist, having taken my PDC in 1991, and have been practicing for many years, but because of a combination of low income, remoteness, and being a full time farmer in a climate that has no winter, I had never been to an IPC, and have been very isolated from the larger permaculture movement because of where I live and my income level.

In 2013, the IPC was held in Cuba, which is both very close to Belize, and one of the 77 countries that Belizeans can travel to without visas. Belize and Cuba have excellent relations, and I have been treated by Cuban doctors for a stab wound, malaria and dengue, and find them to be excellent. My partner, Celini Logan, and I, wanted to attend, but we could not afford it. Some scholarships were available, and we applied. We got significant assistance to attend, covering our housing and food, and the IPC in Cuba was some of the best spent time I have had since my PDC in 1991. I cannot overstate how beneficial this was for the work we are doing.

Without the support made possible, we could not have attended.

Part of the benefit of our going was to meet so many permaculturists, many we have written with, others we knew of, but had not met, and the ones we had not met, previously, but got to meet for the first time. We met permies from Australia, UK, US, and other people working in the developing world from Malawi, Trinidad, Curacao, Costa Rica, Peru, Brazil, and many other countries, many of whom received some form of support, as we did. We got to meet people from all over the world, and it has led to great networking in the region. We have had multiple students come from Mexico to visit with us, many students from the global north, John Stollmeyer of Trinidad, Starhawk, others, who we met at the IPC in Cuba.

The best part that, while many languages were being spoken, everyone was speaking permaculture. It was truly a wonderful thing to behold, and, almost two years later, we still talk about how fortunate we were to be able to receive help to be there.

We have received some support to be at the IPCUK, housing, and are very appreciative of that support, because without it, we would not be able to attend. So, we are one small part of this “around the world” network, and we are grateful for this opportunity.

Christopher Nesbitt

Maya Mountain Research Farm
San Pedro Columbia, Toledo
PO 153 Punta Gorda Town, Toledo