[permaculture] free books about biodynamic?

Lawrence London lfljvenaura at gmail.com
Sat Jun 13 11:49:49 EDT 2015

On Sat, Jun 13, 2015 at 11:11 AM, Michael Pilarski via permaculture <
permaculture at lists.ibiblio.org> wrote:

> Rethinking Agriculture | Biodynamic Association
>
> |   |
> |   |  |   |   |   |   |   |
> | Rethinking Agriculture | Biodynamic AssociationEmployment Opportunity at
> the Biodynamic Association We currently have an opening for one full-time
> or several part-time staff to join our team, based in our Mil... |
> |  |
> | View on www.biodynamics.com | Preview by Yahoo |
> |  |
> |   |

>  The Biodynamic Association (BDA) is a nonprofit association of
> individuals, groups, and organizations who are committed to rethinking
> agriculture through healthy food, healthy soil, and healthy farms.Founded
> in 1938, the BDA is considered to be the oldest sustainable agriculture
> organization in North America. Biodynamics was developed in the early 1920s
> by the Austrian philosopher and social reformer Rudolf Steiner. Steiner is
> considered one of the pioneers of the organic farming movement and
> biodynamics is considered by many to be the most advanced and holistic form
> of organic farming and gardening on the planet. Over the past 77 years,
> biodynamic practitioners have played a key role in the renewal of
> agriculture—helping pioneer the early organic farming movement; inspiring
> the work of Silent Spring author Rachel Carson; piloting the first
> community supported agriculture (CSA) programs; and demonstrating how to
> bring health and flavor back into our food.

Jean Paul Courtens has a 375 acre biodynamic farm
Roxbury Farm
http://www.roxburyfarm.com/
his bio and csa outreach at the Biodynamic Association website
https://www.biodynamics.com/presenter/2012-north-american-biodynamic-conference/jean-paul-courtens
bio
https://www.biodynamics.com/courtens-bio
Jean-Paul Courtens with his wife Jody Bolluyt and their three children
Nick, Johannes and Annemarie, live in Kinderhook Columbia County, NY.
Jean-Paul completed four years of training at Warmonderhof (link is
external) <http://www.warmonderhof.nl/dnn/default.aspx> in biodynamic
agriculture and Jody is a graduate of Iowa State. They own and operate Roxbury
Farm (link is external) <http://www.roxburyfarm.com/> which was founded in
1990. Roxbury Farm is a 375-acre diversified operation producing
vegetables, hay, beef, lamb, pork and chicken. The farm is in association
with 1400 membership families in NYC, Westchester County, Columbia County,
and the Capital District. Roxbury Farm is protected to be in the hands of
small farmers forever. In collaboration with the Open Space Institute (link
is external) <http://www.osiny.org/site/PageServer> the farmland is
protected from development. In collaboration with Equity Trust (link is
external) <http://www.equitytrust.org/>, a model ground lease was
implemented to ensure long-term land and housing affordability.
Warmonderhof <http://www.warmonderhof.nl/dnn/default.aspx>
http://www.warmonderhof.nl/dnn/default.aspx
Roxbury Farm <http://www.roxburyfarm.com/>
http://www.roxburyfarm.com/
Open Space Institute <http://www.osiny.org/site/PageServer>
http://www.osiny.org/site/PageServer
Equity Trust <http://www.equitytrust.org/>
http://www.equitytrust.org/

Biodynamic Association
https://www.biodynamics.com/
What Is Biodynamics
https://www.biodynamics.com/what-is-biodynamics
Introduction To Biodynamics
 https://www.biodynamics.com/introduction-biodynamics
12 Ways to Learn More About Biodynamics
https://www.biodynamics.com/content/12-ways-learn-more-about-biodynamics
The Biodynamic Association offers a wide variety of books on biodynamics
and related topics through our webstore (link is external)
<http://steinerbooks.org/books/Biodynamics.aspx> in partnership with
SteinerBooks. Introductory books recommended by our staff and board members
include:

   - A Biodynamic Manual (link is external)
   <https://steiner.presswarehouse.com/books/BookDetail.aspx?productID=294327>,
   by Pierre Masson
   - Biodynamic Agriculture (link is external)
   <http://steinerbooks.org/Books/BookDetail.aspx?productID=100098>, by
   Willy Schilthuis
   - The Biodynamic Year: Increasing Yield, Quality and Flavour (link is
   external)
   <http://steinerbooks.org/Books/BookDetail.aspx?productID=252202>, by
   Maria Thun
   - Cosmos, Earth and Nutrition: The Biodynamic Approach to Agriculture
   (link is external)
   <http://steinerbooks.org/Books/BookDetail.aspx?productID=236067>, by
   Richard Thornton Smith
   - Culture and Horticulture: A Philosophy of Gardening (link is external)
   <http://steinerbooks.org/Books/SearchResults.aspx?str=culture+and+horticulture>,
   by Wolf D. Storl
   - Gardening for Life – The Biodynamic Way (link is external)
   <http://steinerbooks.org/Books/BookDetail.aspx?productID=167>, by Maria
   Thun
   - Grasp the Nettle: Making Biodynamic Farming and Gardening Work (link
   is external)
   <http://steinerbooks.org/Books/BookDetail.aspx?productID=357483>, by
   Peter Proctor
   - Soil Fertility, Renewal and Preservation (link is external)
   <http://steinerbooks.org/Books/BookDetail.aspx?productID=22260>, by
   Ehrenfried Pfeiffer

 While not an introductory book, a core text for understanding biodynamics
is Rudolf Steiner <https://www.biodynamics.com/steiner.html>'s "Agriculture
Course," the series of lectures he gave to European farmers in 1924 which
initiated the biodynamic movement. The lectures assume a background in
Steiner's philosophy and terminology, so newcomers to Steiner's work may
not find the Agriculture Course to be very accessible. There are several
editions available, but we recommend Agriculture: Spiritual Foundations for
the Renewal of Agriculture (link is external)
<http://steinerbooks.org/Books/BookDetail.aspx?productID=180>, translated
from the original German by Catherine E. Creeger and Malcolm Gardner. This
text is also available as an audio recording (link is external)
<http://www.rudolfsteineraudio.com/agriculture/agriculture.html>.

--
Lawrence F. London
lfljvenaura at gmail.com