[permaculture] Permaculture design, diversified farming systems and agricultural food cropping.

DONKA RADEVA donnybg at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 22 15:32:33 EDT 2015

"Norman Bourlag, a Nobel Prize winner for agriculturehas been a leading proponent for increasing agricultural yields throughout theworld through more intensive use of fertilizers applied to genetically modified crops. The justification for increasing yields has been to fight worldhunger. A recent paper in the Medical Journal the Lancet (Lozano and 205 others2012 ) has pointed out thatobesity now is a bigger health problem globally than hunger, and the leadingcause of disabilities around the world. Every country, with the exception ofthose in sub-Saharan Africa, has experienced an 82 % increase in obesity in thepast two decades. Middle Eastern countries have seen a 100 % increase.

This suggests that less emphasis should be placed onincreasing yield – there already is enough – and more be placed on how thatyield is produced."

This is a citation from a book on the matter of the increasing population and higher yield needs, which I find very useful.
This is the source: C.F. Jordan, Chapter 5 Applied Toolsand Practices for Sustainable Agriculture, An Ecosystem Approach to Sustainable Agriculture:Energy Use 115 Efficiency in the American South, Environmental Challenges and Solutions 1, DOI 10.1007/978-94-007-6790-4_5, © SpringerScience+Business Media Dordrecht 2013