[permaculture] Need plant ID

Lawrence London lfljvenaura at gmail.com
Fri Jul 17 19:47:46 EDT 2015

On Fri, Jul 17, 2015 at 6:03 PM, Kevin Topek <ktopek at att.net> wrote:

> Thanks for the note. I am only guessing it is a Papyrus, though it does
> look like one. It is a sedge with a triangular stem, correct? It may be a
> rare varietal. Maybe send me some seeds since it looks like it would love
> Houston’s wet.

It is a round hollow stem, a cluster of them emerging from the crown with
alternating, not opposite, long leaves widely spaced from bottom to the
very top, you can see this in the pix. The leaves have very rough "scales"
if you rub them one way and smooth the other, just like the leaves/sheaths
on the wild bamboo in the patch by the creek behind the Warren's though I
think that is (I ID'ed it once) maybe a cane or reed and not a true bamboo.
I will definitely send you some seeds. If it takes over the bayou like
kudzu the miracle plant don't say where you got them. I am pretty sure it
is not a sedge and probably is a reed or cane.

Please say hello to Mindy, my once&inspirational mentor (intro to Odom and
emurgy!

--
Lawrence F. London
lfljvenaura at gmail.com