[permaculture] Weird weather was Re: American Permaculture Association Standards Board?

Bob Waldrop bob at bobwaldrop.net
Fri Jul 10 23:56:15 EDT 2015

Koreen I hear you on changing rain patterns.  Four years of drought all
over Oklahoma and now we're flash food city just about everywhere.  June
was our wettest month since records began in the 19th century. July is
also abundant rain.  I'm not complaining but I wonder what the next year
will bring.  One rainy year is not a new normal.

We've also had a discussion on a social media site for my neighborhood
(186 of my near neighbors are on it , within a rectangle roughly 20
blocks by seven blocks) about the lack of pollinators.  Only a couple
people reported normal or more than normal pollinators, everyone else
wasn't seeing much.  I haven't seen much.  This is the first year I've
not seen any Cardinals, the Blue Jays are greatly reduced, and haven't
seen any of the yellow breasted birds (not sure what they are), and not
many robins. Plenty of small brown birds. Haven't seen the raccoon for a
long time. Don't see as many possums as we used to.  I live about 20
blocks form downtown OKC, in an older neighborhood, and we've had quite
a possum population and a few raccoons.  But not so many now as previously.

Obviously there's room for observer error but even so it is hard to know
what it adds up to.  So, I am just doing the best I can to maintain
fertility, increase diversity, persistence, resilience, and build
community.  And of course hope it will be enough.

Bob Waldrop, Okie City

--
http://www.ipermie.net How to permaculture your urban lifestyle and adapt to the realities of peak oil, economic irrationality, political criminality, and climate instability..