[permaculture] IPC Values ?

Toby Hemenway toby at patternliteracy.com
Wed Jul 1 00:29:15 EDT 2015

By my count 4 of the people on the IPC keynote list are designers; having seen the results of the work of each of them, I’d say they are superb at it.

But, more importantly, why would we restrict the keynotes only to formal designers? Doing physical landscapes is the simplest part of permaculture. Getting those designs, and the ability to appreciate what permaculture is, integrated into the communities that envelop those designs, is much harder work, and without it, a good landscape design will be abandoned, torn up, or vandalized (A la Greening the Desert version 1). The invisible structures are the edge of permaculture that need the most work, and from the list of keynoters, that’s what IPC is (rightly) focused on.

Check out Pandora Thomas’s work. She’s one of the keynoters, and she’s doing transformative work on the social/urban side. We need more like her.

I’m reminded of Larry Santoyo’s saying, “we don’t DO permaculture. We USE permaculture in what we do." And what people do to create a regenerative, healthy culture is a lot more than landscape design. We need to get very far out of that small box.

Toby
http://patternliteracy.com

Coming in July: my new book on urban permaculture, The Permaculture City. Pre-order it at on-line booksellers or at http://www.chelseagreen.com/bookstore/item/the_permaculture_city/