[permaculture] 37 Million Bees Found Dead In Ontario, Canada After Planting Large GMO Corn Field | Organic Health

John D'hondt dhondt at eircom.net
Sun Nov 9 16:50:07 EST 2014

I think that seed grain is routinely drenched with neotics these days. And
as far as I could see the article had plenty references to bee mortality and
pesticides.
30 years ago wood pigeons were extremely plentiful here and at times a
terrible pest that denuded our garden in half an hour. Then a neighbor
planted 10 acres of treated barley and within a week the wood pigeon
population collapsed. It has still not recovered to this day.
Pesticides do get around.
John

> Let me say first that I hate GMOs and I am very concerned about honeybees
> in particular and pollinators in general. And I think neonics should be
> banned yesterday.
>
> But how could the planting of a wind-pollinated crop cause such massive
> bee die-off? Further, it is not clear in the article that the crop was
> even mature enough (what does a few weeks mean?) to even be releasing
> pollen.
>
> Was the field sprayed with neonics? If so, the fact that the field was
> planted with GMOs has no bearing, unless neonics are only applied to GMO
> corn, which I do not believe to be the case. But the article does not say
> that any kind of pesticide was applied to this field.
>
> In short, this is a very poorly written article. Now the world is full of
> those, but I hate to see permies inflict on themselves a reputation of
> fuzzy thinking.
>

> Jacque
>

>> On Nov 8, 2014, at 8:35 AM, Lawrence London <lfljvenaura at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>> 37 Million Bees Found Dead In Ontario, Canada After Planting Large GMO
>> Corn
>> Field
>> <http://organichealth.co/37-million-bees-found-dead-in-ontario-canada-after-planting-large-gmo-corn-field/>37
>> Million Bees Found Dead In Ontario, Canada After Planting Large GMO Corn
>> Field | Organic Health
>> http://organichealth.co/37-million-bees-found-dead-in-ontario-canada-after-planting-large-gmo-corn-field/
>>
>> Millions of bees dropped dead after GMO corn was planted few weeks ago in
>> Ontario, Canada. The local bee keeper, Dave Schuit who produces honey in
>> Elmwood lost about 37 million bees which are about 600 hives.
>>
>> “Once the corn started to get planted our bees died by the millions,”
>> Schuit said. While many bee keepers blame neonicotinoids, or “neonics.”
>> for
>> colony collapse of bees and many countries in EU have banned
>> neonicotinoid
>> class of pesticides, the US Department of Agriculture fails to ban
>> insecticides known as neonicotinoids, manufactured by Bayer CropScience
>> Inc.
>>
>> Two of Bayer’s best-selling pesticides, Imidacloprid and Clothianidin,
>> are
>> known to get into pollen and nectar, and can damage beneficial insects
>> such
>> as bees. The marketing of these drugs also coincided with the occurrence
>> of
>> large-scale bee deaths in many European countries and the United States.
>>
>> Nathan Carey another local farmer says that this spring he noticed that
>> there were not enough bees on his farm and he believes that there is a
>> strong correlation between the disappearance of bees and insecticide use.
>>
>> In the past, many scientists have struggled to find the exact cause of
>> the
> [...]

---