[permaculture] Advance notes on Permaculture Standards and Principals for NAPC

Toby Hemenway toby at patternliteracy.com
Mon Aug 18 13:23:06 EDT 2014

I'd be honored to be a part of this working group. These are issues that should be discussed, and I think it won't be hard for a working group to come up with resolutions and proposals. I imagine that there will be some dissent from the contingent of permaculturists that confuses developing standards with imposing authority, but you know, they can help, or they can choose not to play. I also suspect both PI-USA and PINA have very similar ideas about most of the topics Scott mentions.

I hope NAPC can also be a place where the large amount of work already done by PI-USA on curriculum, teaching qualifications, certificates, and more can be acknowledged and transmitted.

While Permaculture Capitalism is a fascinating subject, I think about 4 hours could be spent just getting everyone on the same page on their definitions of capitalism, because I think part of the problem is that people define it in very different ways. A farm stand is capitalist in some people's minds, for others it is Monsanto, or the Federal Reserve, or Steve Jobs, or the Permaculture Credit Union, or Slav Davidzon. We'd have to get that sorted out first before we could actually discuss the subject. So I'd prefer to have that discussion elsewhere, or after everything else is done.

NB on spelling: we're talking about principles, not principals. Ah, the Anguish language.

Toby
http://patternliteracy.com