[permaculture] NAPC: Scarcity?

Lawrence London lfljvenaura at gmail.com
Sun Aug 10 17:08:32 EDT 2014

On Sun, Aug 10, 2014 at 10:48 AM, Koreen Brennan via permaculture <
permaculture at lists.ibiblio.org> wrote:

> Thank you Jason - that is sweet! I think this conversation is a needed one.
>
> I feel that there is quite a bit that we could do to improve the design of
> how we operate as a movement (and money is only a small part of that), but
> in spite of money, or camping, etc, this event is going to be as good as
> what we all make it together, and that has a lot to do with the intention
> and focus we have, going into it. We have an opportunity to move things
> forward to the next level of succession through use of intelligent design
> and I would love to see that happen. I know what the people who are coming
> to this event are capable of - I felt frustrated at having such talent all
> in one place in Cuba and how little that massive resource and energy was
> utilized.
>
> I'm excited to see the conversations happening now, and hope they continue
> long after the event. If the convergence acts as nothing more than a
> catalyst for broader conversation that addresses some of the tough issues,
> and this conversation leads to better design ideas, more collaboration, and
> a stronger network and movement, it will be well, well worth it.

A very large amount of that can be accomplished right here in this list and
if it needs reconfiguring or needs more co-owners, lets get that done. If
companion resources need to be created that link directly to discussion
here, that can be done too though there needs to be close linking to
activity and traffic going on here. A Google+ page would be an excellent
place to start. Facebook is out for me as I have permanently canceled my
membership; I urge people not to use Facebook for serious, important
Permaculture discussion; anything else would be better, even Linkdin.
Google+ would be a much better option than a blog except for those with
websites that use them. I could create a Google+ page entitled Permaculture
Forum At Ibiblio; those with G+ accounts could post and the public could
comment. Its all free and works flawlessly. If this is created as an
organization's page then it can have a management team consisting of page
owners and page managers with different access privileges for each group.

I found a great page that describes "managing a Google+ page as a team":
http://readwrite.com/2011/12/21/how_to_manage_a_google_page_as_a_team.
More: "This week, Google+ enabled up to 50 people
<http://www.readwriteweb.com/archives/google_adds_stream_noise_controls_50_admins_per_pa.php>
at a time to manage Google+ brand pages. Since brand pages are how
organizations manage their presence on Google+, many page owners need to
give multiple team members the ability to edit and moderate. Yesterday's
update
<http://www.readwriteweb.com/archives/google_adds_stream_noise_controls_50_admins_per_pa.php>
not only allows a large team to control the page, it allows transfer of
ownership. So if one person created your page but someone else needs to be
in charge of it, the creator can transfer that power. The Google+ interface
is a little busy, so here's a step-by-step guide for how to change managers
of a Google+ page. Managers have all the same powers
<http://support.google.com/plus/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=2380625&topic=1710599&ctx=topic>
as owners except for two key things: they can't delete the page, and they
can't transfer ownership. Otherwise, both owners and managers can add and
remove new managers, view the roster of managers (including their email
addresses), adjust the page's settings (like notifications), and, most
importantly, do page actions like post content and edit circles."

So, this provides us with the ability to delete or edit pages or content
within pages, i.e. posts and comments, as the need arises.

Also, in combination with Google Drive (Google Docs) and Google Sites
(website) allows us to create archives of discussion threads and documents
in various formats. Google Drive provides space for spreadsheets and
documents created in many other formats. Archives of photos, videos,
YouTube video channel, multimedia, sketches, blueprints, audio (stored in
Sites or Drive or embedded in a Video with a single static image or
slideshow) can be created and stored for free using Google resources.
Having a YouTube channel for the list would be an effective to post videos
made during the NAPC for public viewing. Google+ allows creation of media
galleries within each page, easily accessed by the public and easily
managed.
So as an extension to this mailing list we can have the following: Google+
page, Google Site, YouTube Channel, Google Drive (Google Docs).

Come to think of it this might be an excellent way to move beyond this
mailing list to a resource with additional features that are needed by this
community.
Bob mentioned the need for an archive of important posts sent to this list.
All posts sent to this forum are automatically included in the list's
message archives and can be easily and effectively searched using this
system:
Ibiblio PC list message archive search using Google's "site" command:
Put this in your browser's search window, not in the URL dialog box.
Ex.: site lists.ibiblio.org/pipermail/permaculture napc
Here is the URL for the Google search results for that:
https://www.google.com/search?q=site+lists.ibiblio.org%2Fpipermail%2Fpermaculture+napc&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&channel=sb

I will look into getting this set up today and drag Michael and Bob and
anyone else interested along to help with ownership and share the workload
(probably minimal) :-) I hope others will become interested in this G+
extension of the ibiblio PC list. I think it will be fill a stated need and
be a worthwhile venture for all of us. Getting a GMail and Google+ account
is no more difficult than subscribing to this list and I will help anyone
needing it with account configuration related to privacy issues.

I think that the NAPC will go way beyond the actual event to forge the
frontiers of a new era for Permaculture, globally, on the W/E European
continent and throughout North America.
This list helps as a : -- portal to an expanding global network of landtech
pioneers practicing and teaching permaculture
while designing ecological, biointensive land use systems with integrated
elements for synergy, sustainability, regeneration and enhanced
nature-compatible
human habitat --

So, how can we get the biggest possible yields from this event? Let's start
> designing....

I have offered one way to help do this above.

--
Lawrence F. London
lfljvenaura at gmail.com
http://www.avantgeared.com