[permaculture] NAPC: Scarcity?

Koreen Brennan cory8570 at yahoo.com
Sat Aug 9 20:02:51 EDT 2014

I'd like to interject that it sounds like there is an assumption that there is a problem with this event. None of the organizers is complaining about not being paid. We plan to put on a fantastic, blow your socks off event. So what problem are we trying to solve, exactly?  For future events, we have already discussed implementing various other sources of income and there are many potentials that have not been named yet.

Because the event is in less than three weeks, I would say that any discussion at this point is purely theoretical, except for one - how can we get more people to this event so that they can experience all that will be happening? Sufficient attendance to this event may even allow us to be paid something for our efforts.  :-)  But to be honest, I'm more concerned about the right people being there than the numbers, this time around, and it looks like many of them are coming.

So, how could we all leverage our networks to get more people to the event? One bottleneck frankly for us has been marketing - we expected more help from the local networks than we received. We nonetheless expect some good numbers to come to this event. We have one more week of the early bird special and it seems like a good time for everybody to let their networks know about the event.

I am hoping we can focus on making this event as memorable and as relevant as we can, and get all the right people to it. Frankly, I am personally a lot more concerned with the quality of what we accomplish there, than whether I get paid at this point. Because that is a yield that will affect me and many others for years to come, not just next month's rent payment.

Koreen Brennan

www.growpermaculture.com
northamericanpermaculture.org

On Saturday, August 9, 2014 10:01 AM, Toby Hemenway <toby at patternliteracy.com> wrote:

On Aug 9, 2014, at 4:51 AM, Wesley Roe and Santa Barbara Permaculture Network <lakinroe at silcom.com> wrote:

> Would you be willing to put $100-$500 in a pot for the next NAPC convergence to fund organizing positions and campaign at the NAPC event to get this money

This is a good idea--although we've identified permie pocketbooks as a limiting resource. But, sure. And membership dues or similar are all possibilities. Makes ya wonder how the Oddfellows and Masons get such gorgeous meeting halls in nearly every town.

Here's a relevant story: I'm teaching a 9-month Eco-landscaper training with brilliant local designer Erik Ohlsen and others. We have an outdoor classroom that has needs improvement, so we gave the course participants the task of designing a better classroom. Erik gave them $2000 as a budget for the room. During the multi-group design charette, one of the students said, "Why don't take that $2000, hire a fund-raise with it, and have them raise $50,000 for a really good classroom?"

A beautiful leap to a higher design level.

Toby
http://patternliteracy.com

subscribe/unsubscribe|user config|list info|make a donation toward list maintenance: