[permaculture] NAPC: Scarcity?

Toby Hemenway toby at patternliteracy.com
Sat Aug 9 12:01:01 EDT 2014

On Aug 9, 2014, at 4:51 AM, Wesley Roe and Santa Barbara Permaculture Network <lakinroe at silcom.com> wrote:

> Would you be willing to put $100-$500 in a pot for the next NAPC convergence to fund organizing positions and campaign at the NAPC event to get this money

This is a good idea--although we've identified permie pocketbooks as a limiting resource. But, sure. And membership dues or similar are all possibilities. Makes ya wonder how the Oddfellows and Masons get such gorgeous meeting halls in nearly every town.

Here's a relevant story: I'm teaching a 9-month Eco-landscaper training with brilliant local designer Erik Ohlsen and others. We have an outdoor classroom that has needs improvement, so we gave the course participants the task of designing a better classroom. Erik gave them $2000 as a budget for the room. During the multi-group design charette, one of the students said, "Why don't take that $2000, hire a fund-raise with it, and have them raise $50,000 for a really good classroom?"

A beautiful leap to a higher design level.

Toby
http://patternliteracy.com