[permaculture] NAPC: Scarcity?

Toby Hemenway toby at patternliteracy.com
Sat Aug 9 00:07:43 EDT 2014

Whoops-- hit send accidentally. To finish  my thought:

On Aug 8, 2014, at 8:40 AM, loren luyendyk <loren at sborganics.com> wrote:

> To change topic slightly, I wanted to address your assertion Toby, that we can design ourselves out of anything- more specifically that we can design away all limits (not sure what term you used but this is the gist I got).  I just wanted to make an observation.  While I believe it is true that with design we can solve any "problem", I also believe that there are limits to certain systems that by nature restrict, or set limits, to growth.  For example, you would not pack as many livestock into a paddock until they were side by side stripping the soil of every living green thing.  You could but it wouldn't last.  The context sets the limit to the system.

This is not remotely what I said. I said we can design solutions that are win/win, and that there is not an imposed limit to money and people available to support events like this. I would have thought that my intelligence is respected enough not to need a basic lecture about systems having limits.

Toby