[permaculture] NAPC: Scarcity?

Bob Waldrop bob at bobwaldrop.net
Tue Aug 5 17:12:25 EDT 2014

I agree this has been a valuable thread.

In my preevious experience in the convention business, generally you
develop your budget based on previous experience.  The absolute hardest
and most knuckle biting conference to present is a new conference, one
without an established record or constituency.  The knucklebiting is
because people always wait until the last minute to book their
attendance and every conference I was ever involved with sold a lot of
tickets in the last two weeks.  Of course "the last two weeks" is
useless or nearly so when it comes to program, because your program is
generally arranged months in advance of the final two weeks before the
event.

I think crowd sourcing some seed money for the next event, or to fund
the planning committee on an on-going basis, would be a great idea.

I also think that establishing a permanent organizing group is a better
idea than handing the convention off to new people in different regions
each year.  In other words, I'm assuming there will be a conversation at
the event about the NEXT event.  One of the options is for local
committees throughout the country to bid for the convention, the other
is to have a permanent planning committee, which possibly could work
with local groups.  I'd vote for the permanent planning committee.

Bob Waldrop, Okie City