[permaculture] NAPC: Scarcity?

Toby Hemenway toby at patternliteracy.com
Mon Aug 4 10:57:23 EDT 2014

On Aug 4, 2014, at 6:26 AM, Darrell E. Frey <defrey at bioshelter.com> wrote:

> NAPC offers generous work trade options
>

> On Mon, 4 Aug 2014 07:30:07 -0500, mIEKAL aND <qazingulaza at gmail.com> wrote:

> I live nearby, have been involved in permaculture since the late 80s and I'm not coming because I'm living on $500/month and can't afford $150 nor afford to pay someone to cover all the chores here.

Thanks, Darrell, for pointing out that most "perceived impediments" (Larry Santoyo's phrase) are resolvable. Miekal's plight of not having any friends or neighbors or colleagues or relatives or interns or AirB&B clients or city folk hoping to live on a farm, or just going for one day since he lives close, or something, to cover his chores, and his thinking that paying someone is the roadblock, are the next issues to be solved, so he can go to NAPC.

And I'm really sorry to hear that after 30 years in permaculture someone is only earning $500 a month, unless it's by choice (in which case, it's his choice not to afford things). I would like to see permaculture provide abundant livelihoods. I've seen that one solved in a lot of ways.

> So don't assume it's ludicrously low for everyone.

Well, sure, $150 is not low for low-income people. It's low for a 3-day conference. Just like $10,000 is a lot of money, but not for a 50-acre farm with buildings on good land. "Low price" refers to the value given in exchange for the item, not to the amount of money in your pocket relative to it.

Toby