[permaculture] Urban Farming in Wheat Ridge Colorado

Toby Hemenway toby at patternliteracy.com
Wed Apr 23 10:57:47 EDT 2014

Land cost in cities, as a share of farmed food cost, is highly variable, and is much less than it seems to be. Most land on residential lots in urban areas is a by-product of the need for housing--in other words, I didn't buy my urban house for the land--I'd be making that payment anyway, to own the residence. So my urban lot is very inexpensive, as a share of home-grown food costs. In truth, home-grown food costs should come out of the food budget, not the rent or mortgage budget, and they reduce food costs.

Little of this is the case with a rural farm, where the property is bought mostly for the land value.

Thus, amortizing the overall cost of an urban lot into the cost of food grown isn't accurate accounting. Urban land for farming is, in many cases, very inexpensive. Also, many urban farmers are given land for free or for a produce share,  making it very cheap.

Toby
http://patternliteracy.com