[permaculture] Berms, catchments, swales and now stonelines (bund), and hugelkultur

Lawrence London lfljvenaura at gmail.com
Fri Jul 5 13:23:35 EDT 2013

On Fri, Jul 5, 2013 at 12:59 PM, Rich Blaha <rich at mossbackfarm.com> wrote:
> Nice link.  I just finished writing up a grant project we did on the
> farm that incorporated water catchment into our seasonal creek channels,
> with a little bit of hugelkultur (basically burying logs into creek
> terraces).  I need to do some mop-up work this summer/fall, but there's
> a rundown of the process and a link to a string of pictures here
>
> http://www.mossbackfarm.com/2013/07/gullies-part-3/

Your G+ page is also interesting:

https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/108300522588869884317/albums/5852379331848051329

That took a lot of work.

Another advantage of having decomposing logs near the water catchments
is that they serve as breeding habitat for dragonflies.

I will try to post galleries of pix later today of my three water
impoundments, dug with a skid loader, excavated dirt used to create
large berms and swales
to block erosion and water flow at the bottoms of slopes where I have
extensive raised garden beds. These big berms or dams now have drifts
of blackberries
which I am headed out to pick now, then to pick red mulberries from a
large tree on my land when I bought it in 1978. Anything to prevent
soil erosion and loss of water
onto adjacent properties.